Sick of eating the same old thing for dinner?
This recipe is a great way to swap out a boring dinner for something that is super flavorful and sure to please. Earlier this week I made Fish Tacos and Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps. In an effort to try to use up the rest of my cabbage, green onions and carrots, I figured I would try to experiment with an Asian style spaghetti squash stir fry. I mean, who doesn’t love spaghetti squash?
This asian style spaghetti squash stir fry uses the sweet and nutty flavors of coconut aminos, sesame seeds and coconut sugar to give the squash a delicious Asian flare. The lemon, ginger and sriracha add a bold and mildly spicy kick to the meal.
Why this recipe is fantastic:
1. The pure abundance of vegetables. Stir fries kick some serious butt in the nutrition department because you can get all your greens, purples, yellows, oranges and reds all up in one bowl. Doesn’t get much better than that.
2. This method of cooking chicken will rock your socks off. Cooking chicken in its marinade makes it super flavorful and juicy.
3. You can clean out your crisper drawer in your fridge. More veggies in your belly, and less in the trash is a beautiful thing.
4. Ginger promotes good digestion. And, ginger, lemon and garlic is an immune boosting combo.
5. Loads of natural, gut-loving fiber, a wide variety of micronutrients, a hearty dose of protein, and healthy sources of fat. That, my friends, is that make up of a healthy meal.
Asian Style Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry with Lemon Ginger Chicken
This Asian spin on spaghetti squash is loaded with flavor and nutrition, and paired with this sweet and savory lemon ginger chicken you are sure to win at dinner.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 small spaghetti squash prepared, see notes
- 1 head of broccoli chopped
- 2 carrots cut into ribbons
- 1 cup cabbage chopped
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil for cooking
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds garnish
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 tbsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp raw honey
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or raw honey
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
Stir Fry Sauce
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
Combine all ingredients in a Ziploc bag, seal, and shake to mix.
Add chicken to bag, seal bag and cover chicken with marinade by shaking.
Place bag with chicken into the refrigerator, and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350.
Pour chicken and marinade into a shallow baking pan. Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Remove chicken from the pan. Discard the rest of the marinade. Cut chicken into strips.
Prepare spaghetti squash. See notes.
While chicken is cooking, chop the onion, broccoli into florets, and green onions. Cut the cabbage into thin strips, and shred the carrot using a veggie peeler (or cut into juilienne).
In a large pan or wok, heat coconut oil in pan on medium heat.
Add onions and garlic and allow to soften and cook down.
Add broccoli to pan. Cook for several minutes. Then add cabbage and cook for several more.
Add carrots and squash. Mix, and then add stir fry sauce. Allow entire dish to heat thoroughly, and continue to mix.
Remove from heat. Top with green onions, and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy.
Soy sauce can be used in place of coconut aminos if you are unable to find it.
Or, find them here:
Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos Sauce Organic 8 oz (1 Pack)
Instructions to cook a spaghetti squash can be found here.
Allow yourself an additional 45 minutes if you don’t have the squash cooked ahead of time. This should be the first step.