It’s time to retire the standard meal prep ideas.
These chicken burgers are an awesome meal to make on a Sunday, and enjoy for lunches throughout the week. I live with someone who puts minimal thought into his meal planning. I am completely opposite. I am constantly thinking about my next meal, what I want, and how to fill my nutritional gaps. I love Kevin more than anything, but the man needs some serious help meal planning. He likes to eat healthy foods with the exception of an occasional [entire] pizza, and a Big Mac here and there. He is incredibly appreciative when I take 10 minutes to pack him a well thought out lunch, because it is one less decision he has to make throughout the day.
These burgers are the perfect solution for someone who doesn’t naturally gravitate towards including vegetables into their meals. The veggies are built in here. These chicken burgers have heaps of broccoli, cabbage, onions and basil so you are getting a wide array of nutrients. They are loaded with lean protein, and have only healthy sources of fat which make them an easy and nutritious meal. Store these in the fridge for up to 5 days, and enjoy them when you can’t be bothered to cook. If you don’t think you will get through all 12 burgers in 5 days, just halve the recipe. These burgers can be stored in a container separated with wax paper, or you could seal them individually with press-and-seal wrap.
What to do with these crazy little chicken burgers?
Some people struggle with creating tasty meal combinations. Kevin always tells me that he isn’t creative enough to make proper food combinations. Here are some ideas for those who are creatively deficient.
Make a wrap!
- Take a sprouted grain tortilla (or your favorite wrap).
- Add something fresh and crunchy. Lettuce, tomato, and/or thin apple slices.
- Add something creamy. Aeoli, avocado, avocado mayo, or pesto.
- Add some flavor. Hot sauce, balsamic reduction, honey mustard, spicy mustard, or sundried tomatoes. Or try this super simple Paleo Maple Mustard recipe.
Make a salad!
- Start with romaine, or mixed greens.
- Add some crunch. Pecans, walnuts, diced apple, cucumber, and/or croutons.
- Add a dressing. Honey mustard, a vinaigrette, Caesar, balsamic reduction, tahini dressing, avocado dressing.
- Add something extra. Basil leaves, avocado, parmesan cheese, goat cheese, blackberries.
- Start with a base. A bun, lettuce wrap or bread will work.
- Add a fat. Cheese, avocado, avocado mayo or aeoli.
- Add something fresh. Lettuce, tomato, thin apple slices.
- Add something flavorful. Pesto, honey mustard, spicy mustard, sundried tomato paste.
Paleo Broccoli and Basil Chicken Burgers
These burgers are a great meal prep idea. They are flavorful, loaded with an abundance of vegetables and work well on top of a salad, in a bun or by themselves.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion about 2/3 cup chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 head of broccoli about 1 cup chopped
- 1 cup cabbage about 1/4 head
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped about 2 onions
- 1 cup basil chopped
- 1/3 cup avocado mayo
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 lemon juiced
Preheat the oven to 350.
Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Cut chicken into large chunks and drop into pot. Cook completely (about 10 minutes).
Drain chicken from the water. Throw into a food processor and pulse until it is shredded. Or, shred with a fork.
Put shredded chicken in a large bowl and set aside.
Chop cabbage, onion, green onion, broccoli and basil. When chopping the broccoli, remove most of the stem, leaving the top. Chop finely.
Heat coconut oil in large pan. Add garlic and onion. Allow to cook down.
Once onion is translucent, add broccoli and cabbage to pan. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Pour veggies from the pan to the bowl with the chicken. Add the basil, green onions, eggs, coconut sugar, lemon juice, mayo, mustard, and spices. Mix well.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape burgers by filling a mason jar lid and ring with the mixture. Place on baking sheet.
Cook burgers in the oven for 15-20 minutes.