Looking for some sweet, and caramel-y toffee-like treat?
Look no further. This Maple Maca Walnut Banana Ice Cream is seriously the most delicious treat for even the biggest healthy-food skeptic. Just in time for warmer weather, and with all the benefits of maca root.
What is Maca?
Maca is a cruciferous vegetable (like broccoli), and is harvested around the world for food and herbal medicinal purposes. This root has a toffee-like flavor, and has is becoming more popular in the western world. It is considered an ADAPTOGEN, which is a term for substances that help the body adapt to stress.
Why Might you Want to Experiment with Maca
1. Hormones, hormones, hormones. Maca is thought to be balancing for hormones, and may play a role in controlling estrogen production. This could help women suffering from PCOS, or help with things like PMS, and hormonal acne. I am a proponent of actively working towards balancing hormones to maintain healthier skin, and a healthier emotional outlook. A 2008 study has shown maca to decrease feelings of anxiety and depression, while increasing mood and libido. Happier, more enjoyable sex and clearer skin. I am all for it.
2. While most of my focus is on female hormone balance, because, well, that is where my personal experience has been. Don’t worry men, maca is shown to improve male testosterone and fertility as well.
3. In today’s world, we are constantly fighting against free radicals. Free radicals are a contributor to the aging process, and can cancer. Good news. Maca is a very power antioxidant. It has been shown to increase glutathione and superoxide dismutase which have a role to stave off chronic diseases associated with impaired glucose tolerance, and oxidative stress.
4. Energy. Who doesn’t want more energy? Maca is thought to increase energy through it’s stabilizing effect on blood glucose, and it’s regulatory effect on the hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
Maple Maca Walnut Banana Ice Cream
A super nutritious and indulgent twist on traditional ice cream. This paleo ice cream is dairy-free, refined sugar free and incredibly satisfying.
- 2 bananas frozen
- 1/2-3/4 cup almond milk or water
- 2 tsp maple flavoring
- 2 tbsp maca powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut chips
- 3-5 walnuts crushed
Add all ingredients except the toppings to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Start with 1/2 cup of fluid and add more if needed to get appropriate consistency.
Top with a sprinkle of coconut sugar, walnuts and coconut, and serve.
Recipe NotesMaca powder is carried in most health food stores, or can often be found in the food sections of Home Goods or TJ Maxx. It can also be found on Amazon, of course. The cheapest option I found on Amazon --> HERE.
Other Nice Cream Recipes: