There are few things quite as satisfying as some rich chocolate ice cream. This paleo chocolate banana ice cream offers the rich, chocolaty goodness without added sugar or dairy. You also don't have to worry about weird stabilizers, thickeners or gums that are present in many common ice cream brands.
What Makes This Banana Ice Cream Healthier?
- Minerals present in raw cacao. Raw cacao adds a hearty dose of magnesium, copper, manganese, iron, selenium, potassium, phosphorus and zinc. Many of these minerals are micronutrients that most Americans don't get enough of.
- Fiber. This recipe has 10 g of fiber. That is more than ⅓ of the fiber you need daily. This is naturally occurring fiber with can support gut health and growth of beneficial bacterial.
- Dairy free. More people are sensitive to dairy than are aware of it. As much as 70% of the population cannot digest lactose (1), and that is just lactose. There are other components of dairy (like the proteins casein and whey) that some people have trouble digesting. Although ice cream tends to be tolerated better than lower fat dairy products, reducing dairy consumption might be something to consider. Dairy can promote inflammation and can create an acidic environment in the body. Subbing out a few dairy products each week might do some good for digestion, maintenance of body pH and hormonal balance.
- No added sugar. The only sugar in this recipe is the naturally occurring sugar in the bananas. Satisfying a sweet craving with two bananas and 10 grams of fiber is much more blood sugar friendly than about 92 grams of sugar in a pint of Ben and Jerry's.
How To Make Paleo Banana Ice Cream
Time needed: 2 hours and 5 minutes.
- Freeze some bananas.
You will want to peel and freeze several spotty bananas. Break them up in to 1 inch pieces and put them in a Ziploc bag for at least 2 hours.
Blend about two bananas with ½ to ¾ cup of desired liquid. Start by adding the bananas and a small amount of liquid and blend. Scrape the sides with a spatula and add more liquid if needed and continue to blend until smooth. You will want to use a high quality blender.
- Add your favorite add-ins.
Once the mixture becomes a thick and smooth ice cream texture, add anything that will make your nice cream extra special. Peanut butter, chocolate, dates, walnuts or coconut are a few ideas. Blend once more or stir with the spatula to incorporate.
Eat immediately or freeze for up to two hours and scoop and serve.
Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 Frozen bananas ripe
- ¾ cup Almond milk
- 1 tbsp Dark cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 tbsp Cacao nibs
- Add bananas to blender with ½ cup of almond milk and start to blend.
- Continue to add almond milk until you get the right consistency.
- Add the cacao and cacao nibs. Blend until smooth and all chocolate is incorporated. You may need to scrape the sides of the blender with a spatula.
- Serve immediately, or spread in a shallow dish and freeze for up to 2 hours.
Bought dark cacao for this recipe and now i'm addicted! So good.....thanks!!
Seriously, the best and easiest hot day treat!