These salty, crunchy, and super satisfying Mediterranean Roasted Chickpeas are loaded with herbs and are so easy to make! These tasty peas make the perfect snack or textural addition to salads or bowls.
These Mediterranean Roasted Chickpeas are the perfect crunchy addition to salads and can make a great healthy alternative to croutons! This gluten-free and vegan-friendly recipe offers an excellent option for snacking when you want to reach for something salty and crunchy. Each serving has 6 grams of plant-based protein.
Add these roasted chickpeas to these Mediterranean Power Bowls for a colorful meal that is packed with flavor.
What You'll Love About These Mediterranean Roasted Chickpeas
- Quick and Easy! - These no-fuss roasted chickpeas can be prepared in under 20 minutes making them the perfect afterschool snack!
- Fiber & Protein - Each serving contains 5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein!
- So Many Uses! - Toss these chickpeas into a vibrant bowl, add them to a salad for a crunchy addition, or pack them in lunches for some extra plant-based protein.
Ingredient Notes & Possible Substitutions
- Chickpeas - I used canned chickpeas because it is convenient, but you can use cooked dry chickpeas as well if that is your preference.
- EVOO - Olive oil was used because it is a no-brainer with Mediterranean flavors, but avocado oil or another neutral-flavored oil that tolerates moderately high heat can also work.
- Lemon Juice - Fresh lemon juice or a high-quality store-bought option (like Santa Cruz Organics) will yield the best flavor. You can also omit the lemon juice for a little different flavor but the crunchiest texture.
- Garlic Powder - You can substitute 2 cloves of finely minced garlic but would be best added in the last 10 minutes of the cook time to prevent it from burning.
- Dried Herbs - Feel free to use any combination of dried oregano, basil, marjoram, or thyme. You can even substitute a salt-free Italian seasoning blend.
- Sea Salt - I like my chickpeas salty and use 1 tsp of sea salt. If you are sensitive to salt, prefer things less salty or are using regular table salt instead of sea salt, start with ½ tsp and adjust to taste.
How to Make Mediterranean Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinse and dry the chickpeas thoroughly, then toss them in the olive oil, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Roast the chickpeas for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Avoid overcooking! Allow to cool and enjoy!
- For best texture, roasted chickpeas should be enjoyed within 1 hour of cooking. They can certainly be stored and eaten longer, but they just don't maintain the same crunch.
These Mediterranean Roasted Chickpeas are certainly best enjoyed right after cooking. The longer they are stored the more they will soften and they will begin to lose their crunchy texture. The best way to store them is in the fridge wrapped lightly in parchment paper in a container that is not airtight. Consume within 2 days for best quality.
- Be sure to dry the chickpeas thoroughly before tossing them in the oil, lemon juice, and seasoning. Drain them using a colander then transfer to a bowl lined with paper towels and gently pat them dry. This will allow them to get more crunchy.
- Use parchment paper. This helps absorb some of the moisture.
- Harissa Sauce (Harissa Paste)
- Mediterranean Kabobs with Whipped Feta
- Spicy Tahini Sauce
- Mediterranean 7-Layer Dip
- Easy Tzatziki Sauce
Feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. Feedback is always appreciated! 😊
Mediterranean Roasted Chickpeas
- Paper towels
- Mixing bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Drain, rinse, and thoroughly dry the chickpeas by straining them through a colander and then transferring them to a bowl lined with paper towels. Gently pat them dry with additional paper towels. Once dry, add the chickpeas to a large mixing bowl and toss with the oil, lemon juice, herbs, spices, and salt.
- Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet. Place them in the preheated oven and roast for 18-22 minutes, stirring halfway through. Checking occasionally to prevent them from overcooking (you want them crunchy but not rock hard or burnt). Allow them to cool on the pan before enjoying!