This Keto Strawberry Cheesecake is pure perfection! This rich, decadent dessert is so good you'll forget it is low carb and gluten-free. With just 5 grams of net carbs per serving, you can finally have your cake and eat it to.
Cheesecake is one of the best desserts out there and strawberry cheesecake is a summer fave, for sure. Because this dessert is already rich, decadent and high fat it is easy to convert to a keto-friendly treat. Pure low carb magic.
Are Strawberries Keto?
Strawberries, like most fruits, contain carbs. This doesn't mean they need to be avoided entirely when following a ketogenic diet!
An entire cup of strawberries has about 11 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber, meaning it has 8 grams of net carbs.
Depending on the context of the rest our your diet and your daily carb intake, quite a few strawberries may fit in to your low carb diet.
In this recipe we use a low carb strawberry sauce made with ½ lb of frozen strawberries divided among 12 slices of cheesecake. One slice of cheesecake with the strawberry sauce has only 5 grams of net carbs. You can top with sliced strawberries and keto whipped cream and still be under 6 grams per slice. Not too bad!
How To Make Low Carb Strawberry Sauce
Keto strawberry sauce is very simple to make. Combine the following ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat:
Heat the ingredients for about 15 minutes, stirring and breaking the strawberries down with a wooden spatula. Once everything is well combined, sprinkle in the ½ tsp of xanthan gum while mixing.
Allow the sauce to fully thicken. Once thickened, remove from the burner and set aside to cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to be used on top of the cheesecake.
Making The Perfect Keto Cheesecake
Use Room Temperature Ingredients
The eggs, cream cheese and sour cream all blend better when room temperature. Avoid using cold ingredients or you might overbeat the mixture.
Go With Full Fat
Cheesecake is not the dessert to go light. Selecting low fat cream cheese or sour cream will result in a sub par cake and can contribute to a drier texture. Go full fat or go home.
The ingredients should be smooth and uniform when mixed but overmixing can cause too many air bubbles to form (which can contribute to cracking) or can prevent the cake from properly setting which may cause you to overbake it.
Grease The Pan
Grease the pan even if it is nonstick. This will help the cheesecake remove cleanly from the springform pan.
Also, cutting a round piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan can ensure that the crust doesn't stick to the bottom.
Use A Water Bath
When baking cheesecake, it can be helpful to wrap the springform pan in foil and place it in a water bath. To do this, fill a large deep pan with about 1 inch of hot water. When the cheesecake is in the bath the water level should be as high as the cheesecake. This bath will increase the humidity of the oven, promote even cooking and prevent cracking.
It can be tempting to continue to cook the cheesecake until the center looks "set". This is not necessary. The cake will cook more when the oven is open and setting finishes during the cooling process. Overbaking can result in a dry, rubbery cheesecake and can even cause the top to crack.
I recommend chilling the finished cheesecake for ATLEAST 8 HOURS. Yes, I know for the inpatient people (like myself), this is a big ask. Do it! It is important to allow it to set properly.
Feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. Feedback is always appreciated!
Keto Strawberry Cheesecake
- Sauce Pan
- Wooden spatula
- 8 inch springform pan
- Handheld mixer
- Rubber Spatula
- Additional fresh sliced strawberries for servings
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the crust in a mixing bowl. Mix together with a spatula. Add melted butter and stir until a dough forms.
- Grease the small springform pan (about 8 inch diameter) even if it is nonstick. This will help the cheesecake remove cleanly. Also, it is helpful to cut a round piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan to ensure that the crust doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Press the dough evenly along the bottom (and up the sides if there is enough dough) of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the room temperature cream cheese and whip until smooth using a handheld mixer.
- Add the sweetener to the bowl with the cream cheese. Beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Continue to beat until everything is well incorporated, there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, pour the cheesecake filling into the pan with the crust. Spread evenly.
- When baking cheesecake, it can be helpful to wrap the springform pan in foil and place it in a water bath. This is optional but generally produces better quality. To do this, fill a large deep pan with about 1 inch of hot water. When the cheesecake is in the bath the water level should be as high as the cheesecake. This bath will increase the humidity of the oven, promote even cooking and prevent cracking.
- Bake cheese cake for about 45-55 minutes (we are at about 5000 ft above sea level and 50 minutes was about perfect). The center should still be a little jiggly (it will continue to cook over the next 30 minutes) but the top should start to lightly turn golden brown around the edges and no longer looked glazed.
- Do not remove cheese cake. Turn off the oven, leave the cheesecake on the rack and crack the oven door. Allow it to sit like this for another 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take cheesecake out of the oven and let sit uncovered on the counter for another hour. Then loosely wrap the cheesecake with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to set for 8 hours.
- Remove from the fridge. Top with strawberry sauce and sliced strawberries (if using) and enjoy!
- While cheesecake is cooking, heat a pot with the strawberries over medium heat. Add the lemon juice and sweetener and stir. Allow to reduce down stirring frequently to prevent sticking to the bottom. While stirring, break apart the strawberries with a wooden spatula.
- Slowly sprinkle in the xanthan gum while stirring. Avoid pouring it in to prevent it from clumping.
- Continue to cook strawberry mixture for about 15 minutes or until strawberries break down, the liquid reduces and the sauce thickens. Taste the sauce and decide if you want to add anymore sweetener at this time.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stored in a covered in the fridge until cheesecake is ready.