These creamy, dreamy Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats are the perfect thing to wake up to. Who needs a partner when you have a delicious, fruity breakfast waiting for you. This recipe is packed with protein, flavor, healthy ingredients, and is gluten-free!
This sweet and tart overnight oatmeal is what dreams are made of. It tastes just like a lemon blueberry muffin. This recipe is perfect for busy mornings and will definitely be a family fave!
What I Love About This Recipe?
While most overnight oats recipes are all carb, this recipe has a nice balance of macronutrients. The protein powder helps make this recipe more blood sugar stabilizing by slowing the digestion of the carbohydrate.
The fact that it tastes heavenly is of course a plus!
What Are Overnight Oats?
Overnight oats are oats prepared using a method that requires soaking the oats to soften them, make them easier to digest and tastier to eat.
Soaking oats is actually a really great thing to do. By soaking grains overnight in a liquid you make them a little more gentle on the digestive tact.
Soaking also helps to neutralize the phytic acid. Phytic acid is a component of grains that blocks nutrient absorption. By neutralizing some of this acid more of the minerals get absorbed!
Gluten-free Old Fashioned Oats
If you don't follow a gluten-free diet you do not need to select gluten-free oats. You will need old fashioned oats, steel cut or instant will not work in the recipe.
Almost any soaking liquid would work. Pick something creamy and relatively neutral flavored. I would avoided canned coconut milk as some brands separate when cooled which might leave some coconut oil chunks in your oats.
Select either a vanilla or unflavored protein powder. You can use a vegan, collagen or whey based protein, based on your preference and dietary needs.
You ever wonder why your oats don't tastes as good as those sugary mixes? It is the salt! Salt these oats to taste. It really helps bring out the flavor.
Any sweetener would work in this recipe, I just prefer maple syrup. Honey might not mix all that well in to the cold ingredients. note that you don't need much sweetener if you are using sweetened protein powder.
I prefer frozen blueberries. The quality is more consistent, they are available year-round for optimum convenience and they thaw quickly.
Lemon Juice and Zest
Don't skip the zest! The lemon juice and lemon zest contribute to the tasty tartness and lemony flavor in the recipe.
- Depending how far ahead of time you make your oats, you may want to add the frozen blueberries after the oats have already soaked overnight. If I plan on eating them around 10 AM, I like to throw the blueberries in before I leave for work around 8 AM. This way they are softened but still cold!
- If you like more liquidy oats, you can add more almond milk at the beginning (when you mix all the ingredients together) or after they have already soaked.
Other Overnight Oat Recipes
Love this recipe? Connect with me by leaving a comment below! 😊
Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Jar or airtight container with a lid
- Combine all ingredients except the blueberries in an airtight container or jar with a lid. Seal container and shake vigorously for a minute or so until everything is well incorporated and no lumps appear. Note that you may prefer less or more maple syrup depending on how sweet your protein powder is.
- Place sealed container in the fridge for 45 minutes or ideally overnight.
- Remove from fridge, stir and pour over ½ cup of frozen blueberries. Allow at least 5 minutes for the blueberries to thaw before eating. You could also add the blueberries in the night before if you'd prefer.