Is there anything better than pizza? Obviously, the answer is a hard no. This Low Carb Pizza Chicken Skillet recipe is the perfect way to have your pizza and eat it to. This protein-packed recipe is keto-friendly and gluten-free making it a feel good meal that your whole family will love.
What I Love About This Recipe
There is so much to love about this pizza chicken skillet, like for starters... slapping all the best parts of a pizza on top of chicken breast. Beyond that, this is actually a very hearty and wholesome meal, and so easy to prepare. One pan and you're done!
This recipe is a protein powerhouse. Almost all the main ingredients with the exception of the veggies are solid protein sources: chicken, cheese, pepperoni.
Each serving of this pizza chicken skillet contains a whopping 42 gram of protein. This amount of protein will help keep you satiated, support your body composition goals and just make you feel all-around amazing.
This recipe has all the pizza flavor without the carbs. We swap out the carb-heavy crust for filing chicken breast and load up on low carb veggies.
What is better than a 30-minute one-pan meal? Not much in my books. This recipe is weeknight friendly, takes very little prep and won't create a sink full of dirty dishes.
- Chicken Breast - The chicken breast is what makes this recipe so protein-packed and filling. I recommend using chicken breast rather than chicken thighs because the thighs are fattier which, in combination with the cheese, might make the meal a little greasy. The chicken breast is seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- Veggies - I used bell pepper, onions, mushrooms and olives in this recipe. You can venture beyond classic pizza toppings if you want. Just make sure to choose vegetables that sauté well.
- Cheese - This recipe is loaded with gooey mozzarella and a touch of parmesan. I use fresh mozzarella because it melts so well and then top with a little parmesan for a little extra flavor, but feel free to add additional cheese like Romano or asiago.
- Pepperoni - Obviously, pepperoni is a pizza classic, but Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, or bacon can be used instead of, or in addition to, the pepperoni.
- Pizza Sauce - Opt for a low sugar pizza sauce if you are following a low carb diet! I like Rao's because it only has 3 grams of carbs per serving.
- Basil - A little fresh basil makes everything taste better IMO.
What To Pair With This Pizza Chicken Skillet
This recipe is an entire meal by itself. It contains a good amount of protein, fat and veggies, making it a complete and balanced meal. However, if you do want to bulk up this meal a nice Caesar or caprese salad would pair well!
No Cast Iron Pan? No Prob.
I like to make this recipe in a cast iron pan because you can put it right in to the oven to broil and melt the cheese to gooey perfection. In lieu of a cast iron skillet, you can use a regular skillet with a lid.
Cook the recipe as written but do not broil. Instead combine all the ingredients back in to the pan, top with sauce, cheese, pepperoni and olives and then place the pan on the stove on low heat. Cover with a lid and allow the cheese to melt. These cheese won't get as bubbly as when broiled, but it will still work.
Any other oven safe pan would work! You can also transfer the skillet meal to a foil boat on a sheet pan and broil it like that.
Avoid Over Cooking The Chicken
When cooking the veggies, don't forget to remove the chicken from the pan to avoid overdoing it. The chicken will be added back in before topping with sauce and cheese.
When cooking the chicken strips, watch carefully and flip the chicken as soon as it begins to turn opaque. Keeping an eye on the chicken will help prevent it from drying out and becoming tough.
Feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. Feedback is always appreciated! 😊
Keto Pizza Chicken Skillet
- Cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet
- Cutting board
- 2 Large chicken breasts About 2 lbs
- 1 tsp Salt Or to taste
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Dried oregano
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tbsp Avocado oil
- ½ Yellow onion Thinly sliced
- 1 Bell pepper Thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- ½ cup Sliced mushrooms Sliced
- ¼ cup Greek olives Halved
- 8 ounces Fresh mozzarella Sliced
- ¼ cup Chopped basil
- 2 ounces Pepperoni
- 1 cup Pizza sauce Low or no added sugar
- 2 tbsp Shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to "Broil" and move the wire rack to the top position in the oven.
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips. Line the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice each breast in half cutting along the short side horizontally creating 4 thin breasts. Then slice against the grain into about ¼ inch strips. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron skillet over low-medium heat (if you don't have a cast iron pan see recommendations in notes**). Add the chicken breast strips. Allow the chicken to brown on all sides keeping heat relatively low to prevent it from getting over done.
- While the chicken cooks, cut the bell pepper and ½ onion in to strips. Peel and mince the garlic cloves. Slice the mushrooms.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove the chicken from the pan, drain any excess juices from the pan and set the cooked chicken aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and begin adding the onions. Allow the onions to soften and begin to caramelize. Then add the mushrooms and bell peppers. Cook until they veggies become fragrant and then add the garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Drain any excess water and remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the chicken back in to the pan and stir. Pour on the pizza sauce and then top with pepperoni, olives, sliced fresh mozzarella and parmesan. Place in the oven and broil for about 5-10 minutes or until cheese becomes melty and begins to bubble.
- Remove from the oven, top with freshly chopped basil and serve.