These tasty Honey Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potatoes are the world's most perfect side dish. Throw them in a hearty bowl, use them to top a salad or enjoy them alongside a tasty steak. They are satisfyingly sweet and spicy, paleo-friendly, gluten-free and easy to make!
I love sweet potatoes and these paleo roasted sweet potatoes are exactly how they are meant to be. With the spicy chipotle seasoning and a drizzle of honey, this tasty side dish is the perfect accompaniment to nearly any meal.
Looking for other tasty paleo side dishes? Check out these Maple Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts or this Whole30 Green Beans Almondine recipe!
What To Eat With These Honey Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes are great by themselves but they also can make a blah meal into something fantastic. Here are some ideas:
- Add them to tacos for a little flavorful flare
- Throw them in a salad with grilled chicken, avocado and black beans
- Make a paleo bowl using these sweet potatoes, roasted veggies, greens, avocado and ground meat
- Top them with several gooey over easy eggs and bacon in the morning.
- Double the batch and use them in your weekly meal prep!
How To Make These Paleo Roasted Sweet Potatoes
This recipe is beyond easy. Here are the few simple steps to make THE BEST roasted sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Try to keep the size uniform to allow for even cooking. Aim for ½ to ¼ inch cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, add sliced sweet potatoes and tapioca starch and stir covering all the potatoes evenly.
- Next evenly coat the potatoes with the oil, spice and salt.
- Lay the potatoes on the lined pan in a single layer and place in oven for 40-45 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with honey and devour.
I like traditional sweet potatoes in this recipe, but yams or Japanese sweet potatoes would also work well.
Sweet potatoes are great because they are a nutrient dense and tasty carb source. They are loaded with beta carotene (the precursor to vitamin A), potassium and fiber. Plus, when they are cooked and cooled they become a good source of resistant starch which serves as a prebiotic for our friendly gut bacteria.
Honey pairs perfectly with these potatoes, balances the spices nicely and brings out the natural sweetness of the dish.
You could use a drizzle of maple syrup if you don't have honey on hand. You only need a pinch. Or, you can omit it all together!
I like to cook with avocado oil because it is high in monounsaturated fats and has a higher smoke point than olive oil. Any neutral flavor cooking oil could be substituted but keep in mind that we are cooking these babies at a temp of 400 F, so the smoke point should be at least 400 F.
Tapioca starch just works to make these sweet potatoes a little crispier and helps the seasoning adhere. You could substitute cassava flour, but it will be a little grainier. For non-paleo folk, you could use corn starch instead.
We use black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, chipotle powder and garlic powder. If you are sensitive to spice you could reduce the chipotle powder by half. Like it extra hot? Add a pinch of cayenne pepper!
- Parchment paper helps these potatoes get crispier by absorbing some of the moisture. It also makes clean up super easy. I use it basically every time I roast anything in the oven.
- Depending on your oven and the type of pan you are using, the cook time might vary. I used an aluminum pan when testing this recipe and 45 minutes is the magic number for my oven.
- For the best potatoes, coat them in starch first, then oil, then spice. This creates a super light "almost breading" and is phenomenal!
- Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Pizza Bake
- Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili
- Crispy Paleo Sweet Potato Fries
Did you try these Paleo Honey Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potatoes? I would love to see how it went! Share a photo and tag me on Instagram or leave a comment on Pinterest.
Love this recipe? Connect with me by leaving a comment below! 😊
Honey Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- 2 Sweet potatoes Medium/large, about 700-800 grams total
- 3 tbsp Avocado oil
- 2 tbsp Tapioca starch Cornstarch will also work for a non-paleo option
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Chipotle powder
- 1-2 tbsp Honey
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Try to keep the size uniform for even cooking, about ¼ to ½ inch cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, add sliced sweet potatoes and tapioca starch and stir until covered.
- Add the oil, salt and spices to the bowl and stir again until the spices and oil are evenly distributed.
- Lay potatoes on lined pan in a single layer. Try to prevent them from overlapping. This will help ensure crispiness. Place in oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Flip halfway through cooking. Check the potatoes after 35 minutes. Cook times can vary based on oven and type of pan your are using. For my oven and aluminum pan I usually have to cook the fries for a full 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with honey and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply